Thursday, September 13, 2007
episode: -> Teochew vs. Hokkien <-
Does it matter whether we call our parents in Chinese, Teochew or Hokkien?
Isn't it just supposed to be a form of respect when we greet our parents?
So does language even matter? o.O
As long as whatever I spoke of holds the same meaning, issit really that big a deal?
I greet them in Japanese and Korean at times too.
Does that mean I am Japanese or Korean?
I got scolded severely by my grandmother for calling my parents in Hokkien today.
Because I am Teochew.
And certain Hokkien words may mean different things when interpreted in Teochew.
I normally don't even think before I greet my parents.
Of course that includes the use of language.
It is a habit already.
My god.
How am I supposed to change this forcefully?
Stop greeting them completely?
That is equivalent to being rude.
I will get myself scolded all the same. x_x
The most absurd thing was she maligned my Taiwanese friends for influencing me to speak in Hokkien.
My god.
I think we communicated through English and Chinese? -_-"
Why would we be speaking in Hokkien in the first place.
Dots.
Mother has been watching too much Hokkien drama recently.
It is a pretty good show though.
Just that there are too much singing, and it is a bit slow-paced that's all. :)
And I am learning more Hokkien words and pronounciation through watching the drama with her together.
Who says Teochew CANNOT learn Hokkien. -_-"
Rojak then rojak.
I don't care.
The most important thing is to learn the language.
Why must we be so clear in separating Teochew and Hokkien.
~ Beautiful Season ~